Most Reiki practitioners follow some basic ethical guidelines.
At a minimum, in my practice and in my daily personal life, I subscribe to and follow the 5 Reiki Precepts. I use these as my ethical guide.
In addition to the 5 Reiki Precepts, I swear to uphold the following ethical guidelines as I conduct my Reiki sessions:
- Confidentiality: I abide by a vow of confidentiality. Any information that is discussed within the context of a Reiki session remains confidential. No information about the client will be disclosed to any third party without the written consent of the client or the parent/guardian if the client is under 18.
- Comfort: I provide a safe and comfortable area for sessions and work to provide an empowering and supportive environment for clients.
- Transparency: I disclose on my website and am willing to explain to prospective clients my training background, what takes place in a Reiki session, the amount of time spent in sessions, and the fee charged.
- Honesty: I am honest in all my activities and communication.
- Integrity: I never use illegal drugs and will never consume alcohol prior to or during a Reiki session.
- Support: I have a friendly, positive regard toward my clients and openly encourage them to heal.
- Respect: I value my clients and always treat them with respect.
- Honor: I honor all Reiki practitioners and teachers regardless of lineage or organizational affiliation. I refrain from making negative statements about other Reiki practitioners or teachers.
- Intentions: I always have a pure and clear intention to offer my services for the highest healing good of the client.
- Sensitivity: I will be sensitive to and respectful of the boundary needs and comfort levels of individual clients.
- Medical Care: I inform my clients about the value of Reiki sessions and that they do not provide a cure and are not a substitute for care by a licensed medical health care provider. I acknowledge that Reiki works in conjunction with other forms of medical or psychological care. If a client has an untreated medical or psychological condition, I will suggest, in addition to giving them Reiki treatments, that they see a licensed health care provider. I never diagnose medical or psychological conditions or prescribe medications. I never suggest that a client change or end dosages of substances prescribed by licensed health care providers or suggest the client change prescribed treatment or interfere with the treatment provided by a licensed health care provider. Reiki is one part of an integrative healing or wellness program, meant to enhance, not replace, traditional treatment protocols.
- Gratitude: I am grateful for the gift of Reiki and for each client who chooses to come to me.